“Serving Christ by Serving Our Neighbors”
- Seek out and educate Christian believers, helping them to become all that God has created them to be.
- Be the presence of Christ in our community by serving our neighbors.
About Our Name
Overland Baptist Church is located in the city of Overland, Missouri, one of more than ninety small suburban St. Louis County municipalities surrounding the city of St. Louis. The city of Overland was originally called “Overland Park” because it was a popular “park” or overnight stopping point for pioneers traveling west on the Overland Trail. The name was shortened in 1919 to avoid post office confusion with the city of Overland Park, Kansas. Overland is located approximately sixteen miles from the St. Louis riverfront, roughly a one-day journey from St. Louis by Conestoga wagon on the Overland Trail.
How are we different?
- Everyone is welcome in our church. You don’t have to “clean up your act” before coming here.
- We believe there are no second-class Christians in God’s kingdom. Men and women serve equally in our congregation. Each of us are endowed with gifts by God to be used for His glory.
- We believe in the separation of church and state. We don’t get involved in politics, participate in religious boycotts, or pass out “voter guides.” We do, however, encourage and desire for our members to be good and informed citizens of our nation and of the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe Christians under the guidance of the Holy Spirit can interpret the Bible for themselves. We practice good scholarship and when there is more than one way of interpreting a Bible passage we’ll present all of the various views and let people make up their own minds. We are not threatened by honest inquiry. We encourage people to ask questions because it helps them grow spiritually.
What We Believe
Overland Baptist Church does not have a religious creed that people are required to embrace as a condition for membership. However, we have adopted The New Hampshire Confession of Faith as a statement of doctrinal beliefs generally representative of those held by most members in our church. The Bible is our sole authority for all matters of faith and practice, and the criterion by which we interpret the Bible is Jesus Christ, whose will is revealed in Holy Scripture.
Pastor: David W. Johnson
Music Minister: Charlie Lee
Organist: Kathy Lee
Pianists: Sherree Hutcherson and Mary Galambos
Maintenance: Bob Knarr
Housekeeping: Joy Vehlewald
Overland Baptist Church is an autonomous congregation affiliated with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and CBF Heartland. Overland Baptist Church is registered with the IRS as a 501 (c) 3 tax-exempt, nonprofit corporation. All donations are tax deductible.