“Serving Christ by Serving Our Neighbors”
- Make Christian disciples, helping them to become all that God has called them to be.
- Be the presence of Christ in our community by serving our neighbors.
In July of 2019, Overland Baptist Church sold its church building to the Ritenour School District, who plans to continue using the property as a transportation hub, storage facility and as a new home for the Ritenour Co Care Food Pantry. Overland Baptist Church will continue to meet in the building on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights until the summer of 2021. The church is currently in the process of looking for a new, more permanent home within Overland after that. In the mean time, the church offices and food pantry have been relocated to a nearby parsonage at 9144 Shelley Avenue. Our church office phone number has not changed: 314) 429-1800
About Our Name
Overland Baptist Church is located in the city of Overland, Missouri, one of more than ninety small suburban St. Louis County municipalities surrounding the city of St. Louis. The city of Overland was originally called “Overland Park” because it was a popular “park” or overnight stopping point for pioneers traveling west on the Overland Trail. The name was shortened in 1919 to avoid post office confusion with the city of Overland Park, Kansas. Overland is located approximately sixteen miles from the St. Louis riverfront, roughly a one-day journey from St. Louis by wagon on the Overland Trail.
How are we different?
- Everyone is welcome in our church. You don’t have to “clean up your act” before coming here.
- We believe there are no second-class Christians in God’s kingdom. Men and women serve equally in our congregation. Each of us are endowed with gifts by God to be used for His glory.
- We believe in the separation of church and state. We don’t get involved in politics, participate in religious boycotts, or pass out “voter guides.” We do, however, encourage our members to be good and informed citizens of our nation and of the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe Christians under the guidance of the Holy Spirit can interpret the Bible for themselves. We practice good scholarship and when there is more than one way of interpreting a Bible passage we’ll present all of the various views and let people make up their own minds. We are not threatened by honest inquiry. We encourage people to ask questions because it helps them grow spiritually.
What We Believe
Overland Baptist Church does not have a religious creed that people are required to embrace as a condition for membership. However, we have adopted The New Hampshire Confession of Faith as a statement of doctrinal beliefs generally representative of those held by most members in our church. The Bible is our sole authority for all matters of faith and practice, and the criterion by which we interpret the Bible is Jesus Christ, whose will is revealed in Holy Scripture.
Pastor: David W. Johnson
Music Minister: Charlie Lee
Organist: Kathy Lee
Pianist: Sherree Hutcherson
Maintenance: Bob Knarr
Housekeeping: Joy Vehlewald